Taking medicine for nasal congestion, blocked eustachian tubes and congestion. Any suggestion?

I've got nasal congestion, blocked eustachian tubes and peridoic congestion ("rattling" and sometimes violent coughing) that originates in the trachea. My doctor has prescribed an antibiotic (Cefdinir). I am also taking limited amounts of Benadryl (antihistamine that helps me sleep), although I'm coughing quite a bit when I lie down. During the day I'm having good luck with Wal-Phed PE decongestant (Acetaminophen 325 mg blended with Dextromethorphan HBr 10 mg, Buaifenesin 100 mg, Phenylephrine XXXXXXX 5 mg). The decongestant effectively reduces coughing during the day. I also have a mild case of BPH and take a daily dose of Flo-Max, which works as expected. I'm curious about whether I'm at risk of overdosing or drug interaction if I take both the Benadryl and decongestant before going to bed.
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Rather than interaction, actions as well as side effect effects of these drugs are likely to get added up as they belong to same group and have similar mechanism of action.

So it is better to stick one of the medication.For coughing you can try bronchodilator, steam inhalation, chest physiotherapy and breathing exercises.

Hope this answers your question.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.
Follow-up: Taking medicine for nasal congestion, blocked eustachian tubes and congestion. Any suggestion? 12 hours later
Thanks! As we speak, my throat and upper trachea rattle when I breathe heavily; this often leads to coughing spasms. I'm intrigued by the suggestion that I use brochodilator, steam inhalation, chest physiotherapyl or breathing exercises. I may visit my ear/nose/throat doctor or pharmacist tomorrow and ask for help implementing one of these. I normally exercise daily, so I'm thinking of taking a short brisk walk (shorter than normal). Any more suggestions/comments? Thanks again for your response.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 5 hours later
Apart from that avoid extreme temperature environments, limit use of air conditioning, stay away from strong chemical smells or anything that triggers coughing.