Taking medicine for irregular periods. Can I use regestrone 5mg to postpone periods?

Question
Hi, I was prescribed XXXXXXX 35 for irregular periods and have been using it for 19 days now. The pills get over after two days and I expect to start my period cycle immediately after that. However, I need to postpone it by 3 more days after my pills finish. Can I use Regestrone 5mg? How frequently do I have it? Twice everyday with 12 hour gap? Will there be any side affects. Can I start my next XXXXXXX 35 as normal after a week?
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Here is exactly what you need to do:

1. Finish the third week of the current pack (you say you have 2 days left)
2. Do NOT take the 4th week of placebo pills, but rather start the next pill pack of Diane-35.
3. When you are ready to get your period, stop the pills (preferably in the early part of a week, and restart a NEW pill pack on the following Sunday
4. You do not need the other medications you mentioned

I hope this helps - DR XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Taking medicine for irregular periods. Can I use regestrone 5mg to postpone periods? 8 hours later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX

Thanks for your reply. Quick clarification. What do you mean by
2) "Do Not take the 4th week of placebo pills?"

The current pack of Diane-35 ends on Tuesday and it's the 3rd week since there are 21 tabs. I finish the pack tomorrow(Tuesday). Should I start a new pack of XXXXXXX 35 on Wednesday and continue until Sunday when I am ready to get my period and then, start another fresh pack on the next Sunday with a week's gap as prescribed. Am I getting it right? Can you confirm that I WON'T get my period between Tuesday-Saturday(4 day)?

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 16 hours later
Hello again.

I am sorry about the confusion in this statement. You are actually CORRECT in your stated plan of:

"start a new pack of XXXXXXX 35 on Wednesday and continue until Sunday when I am ready to get my period and then, start another fresh pack on the next Sunday with a week's gap as prescribed".

That will PROBABLY delay your period. There are, of course, no guarantees that this will work, BUT I have many patients who take the pill continuously for anywhere from 12-52 weeks without getting a period. I do believe that it will work, but there are invariably patients who do get some breakthrough bleeding when they try to extend the pill pack.

Good luck!!