Taking medicine for hypothyroid. Have swelling and redness on eyelid. How to overcome this?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
Hi actually i am having swelling in my left eyelid, redness also. i have hypothyroid i take med 25mg and 50 mg alternately but i got thyroid test done now its normal because my doctor fisrst said get thyroid test done for eye problem. but its normal he says there is no allergy but we have to know the cause why this swelling exists. Ten i again went to him he gave me FML, Appamisde plus and Refresh tears because i felt dryness and irritation also. he also said that my lefet eye is getting weak little bit i need spects for computer i am having strain in fromt of computer.can you tell me whats the exact cause of sweeling as now after taking all these med no relief 4 days passed and i have to go for checkup again after 2-3 days.
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 33 minutes later
Hi Ms XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your query.

Swelling and redness of eyelid may be related to an infection or allergy.

In addition, hypothyroid state can also cause the same, but that has been excluded with normal thyroid state.

If poosible, please upload a photograph of the affected eyelid. You can do so either on this website or send to my email: YYYY@YYYY

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My Website: WWW.WWWW.WW My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/

Follow-up: Taking medicine for hypothyroid. Have swelling and redness on eyelid. How to overcome this? 3 minutes later
My doctor said its not the case of allergy and thyroid so i wanted to know whats the other cause can weak eyesight or computer be the cause for this or some other problem . my doctor also said tat if required he will get a MRI done what for MRI is done

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 14 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with more details.

MRI is done to look for soft tissue details, such as muscles that move the eyelids, eyeball, nerves that move the eyelids and eyeballs, etc. I think if you do not improve, doing MRI would be a good idea.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: Taking medicine for hypothyroid. Have swelling and redness on eyelid. How to overcome this? 14 minutes later
earlier i havent felt that my eyesight getting weak but it is little bit weak can this be the cause of swelling or vice versa. what can be the cause of eyelid swelling according to you not getting improved despite of the above treatment.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 30 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

What is your eyesight now? Normal sight should be 6/6 in both eyes.
If allergy and infection have been ruled out, then we have to look at weakness of nerves, and soft tissue swelling due to auto-antibodies.
A clinical photograph of the eyelid would be useful.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM