Taking medicine for hypertension and high cholesterol. Feeling shortness of breath and anxiety. Reason?

Hi I am a 46 year old, African American female who was diagnosed a few months back with hypertension, high cholesterol. I take my medication as ordered but lately I have increase shortness of breath, increase girth in my abdomen and an on and off pulsating feeling in my lower abdomen, no pain. I have been under a lot of stress and high anxiety lately. I am afraid something could be going on bad. Do I have cause to worry?
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 43 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Shortness of breath in a setting of Hypertension and Hyper-cholesterolemia – needs IMMEDIATE ATTENTION.
Breathing problem may be mistaken equivalent of angina (heart pain)i
It could also mean heart failure.
Increasing abdominal girth could also mean fluid collection

You need to be investigated for Coronary Artery Disease.
You should be investigated as HEART PROBLEM – UNTIL PROVED OTHERWISE.

Anxiety should be an exclusion diagnosis – even though there are positive pointers.
Heart takes priority...

In suspected heart attack, TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE – if detected early, an attack may even be aborted / the amount of damage and complications can be reduced remarkably. The most important time is the first few hours.

The abdomen can be assessed at leisure..

Better be safe than sorry - treated if a problem is found / Happy, if it turns out otherwise

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck