Taking medicine for high bp. Have herpes simplex II. Getting bad vagina smell. Related?

For over one year I have experienced an embarrassing vaginal odor. I can smell it constantly and I know others can as well. I have used Miconazole and douches without any results. I take a combination of 3 medications for high blood pressure and thought this might impact this problem. Looking for feedback as to how to control or eliminate this. I have Herpes Simplex II and feel that this may be related to my problem,
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 1 hour later

Vaginal odour can result from several conditions including vaginosis, Trichomoniasis and candida infection.

Repeated douching and use of antiseptics to provide vaginal hygiene is rather detrimental to the bacterial flora that protects the vagina from infections.

After prolonged use of miconazole which is effective in treating Candida infections, (however, the form of the drug matters; creams will help with infections at the vulva while ovules are needed for vaginal infections) and with repeated douching, it is most probable that you could be suffering from a bacterial vaginosis.

Bacterial vaginosis presents with an unpleasant fishy smell, sometimes associated with a thin homogenous vaginal discharge. The treatment is with metronidazole or tinidazole which your doctor could prescribe.

Genital herpes would not be related to this unless when it presents with ulcers that become infected by bacterial.

Good vaginal care entails;
-avoiding douching
-avoiding the use of antiseptic soaps
-avoiding XXXXXXX use of perfumes and other cosmetics
-use of cotton under wears
-avoiding the use of tight under wears etc.

I will advice you XXXXXXX your doctor for a physical examination and for examinations such as vaginal smear, potassium hydroxide test, vaginal pH etc so as to confirm the diagnosis or rule it out and for appropriate treatment to be given.

Hope I have answered your query. I shall be available for any further query.