Taking medicine for heart problems, high BP, cholesterol. Have sinus problems. Why do I involuntarily hum?

Dec 2014

Why do I hum all the time (and I don't even know I'm doing it)? I've done it for years. I am 59 years old and take medicine for heart, elevated blood pressure, and cholesterol. I have chronic sinus problems.
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

You are a 59 years old female with medical history of sinusitis, heart disease and elevated BP. You are other wise normal and are on medicines for these ailments.

Now coming to your question.
A lot of people hum, and most of them don't recognize it a problem. It occurs in stages of happiness usually, but some times under stress it may be seen in people. You have mentioned that you hum all the time and some times you even don't know that you are doing it.
It may occur due to some underlying unconscious anxiety. When there is some anxiety even in unconscious level it may express in an individual as hum. If it is not causing problem to your social, occupational and personal functioning then it can be considered as normal.
Other cause may be OCD. In few cases of OCD or response to stress due to some obsessional thought.

But for proper answer I need a little detailed description about this problem. Whether it is distressing to you? Do you want to get rid of this habit?

I will be happy to answer you again in follow up question.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi MD
(Consultant Psychiatrist)