Taking medicine for epilepsy, anxiety and OCD. Will it be safe to take DAO supplements?

Dec 2012

Hi. i am a 36 year old woman with lots of allergy symptoms and cholinergic urticaria. i also have very well controlled epilepsy for which i take topomax 100 mg am and 150 mg pm. i take clomipramine 25mg pm for anxiety and OCD. I recently heard of Histamine Intolerance and low histamine diets and DAO supplements to help break down histamine. should I talk to by GP before trying this supplement or is it safe to try out? from what I've read doctors in XXXXXXX are not really familiar with histamine intolerance. I also take zyrtec or other antihistamine as needed and exercise regularly.
thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 3 hours later

Thanks for posting on HCM
In my humble opinion I do feel that you should let your GP know before taking DAO supplements. Even though diamine oxidase is an enzyme that occurs naturally in the intestines and breaks down histamine (ingested through food), when taken as a supplement could result to side effects (even though they are no known side effects). Discussing with your doctor will be of interest. What I can advise you freely to do now, is taking low histamine diets (the list is long, maybe your local dietician can assist you with that) and avoid meals with high histamines. If you are suffering from histamine intolerance, those two steps could start taking care of the problem. DAO supplements is a good treatment choice, but as I said do discuss first with your doctor.

Hope this helps and wish you the best
Dr Nsah