Taking medicine for diabetes, urinary flow problem. Undergone open heart surgery. Any advice?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
I AM SUFFERING FROM DIABETES AND URINARY FLOW PROBLEM FOR ALMOST LAST 11 YEARS
BLOOD SUGAR ,WITH MEDICENE (AMRYL 1MG IN MORNING BEFORE BREAKFASTAND OBIMET SR 500 MG 1 BD)WITH DIET CONTROLL AND EXERCISE REMAINS UNDER CONTROL , AND URIMAX 0.2 MG EVERY ALTERNATIVE DAY IS KEEPING ME OK, MY WEIGHT IS 88KG AND I HAVE GONE UNDER OPEN HEART SURGERY ABOUT 15 MOINTHS BACK,
I AM A MALE ,AGE 63 YEARS
PLEASE ADVICE CHANGE IF ANY REQUIRED

PLEASE SUGGEST IF ANY CHANGES ARE REQUIRED IN TREATMENT FOR BOTH THE AILMENTS
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later

Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have diabetes and problem of urine flow since last 11 years.

Since you are taking oral anti diabetic medicines and your sugar level are well controlled you need not change the medicines for diabetes.

As regards your urine flow it will be better if you get following investigations done.
1) Ultrasound Scanning of the abdomen to rule out Benign Enlargement of Prostate which is common at this age.
2) Uroflowmetry to study the average urine flow per second.

Please consult qualified Urologist with reports of these tests for clinical and digital rectal examination. He will advise you regarding change in dose of medicine or other modality of treatment.

Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil..