Ask a Urologist   »  

Taking medicine for diabetes, bp and cholesterol. Noticed blood in urine, getting back pain. Remedy?

General Surgeon
I started getting pain in my back in the kidney area a few nights ago. It is getting worse. Sometimes I can barely stand it. Today it is also on my side, traveling from my back (again in the area where my kidneys are). It feels somewhat like a cramp but I would say more like something is clamping down, squeezing. My husband says I am overreacting and it's just a muscle spasm. But it really hurts. I am not sick in any other way. Had a physical a couple of weeks ago and had a trace of blood in my urine. All other test results were good. Creatinine was .58. I am an insulin dependent diabetic (last A1C was 6.8), and take drugs for high blood pressure (hyzaar 100/25) and high cholesterol (20 mg simvistatin--175 at last exam). Having surgery tomorrow on a torn meniscus. Thanks
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 17 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Your symptoms sounds like urinary tract stones (if the pain has started suddenly). The pain can radiate to the lower abdomen and groin. Frequent urinating and burning while urinating can be present.
Moreover, diabetic patients are more prone to urinary tract infection (due to increased sugar level in the urine what helps bacteria to grow).

I suggest you to visit your doctor, have abdominal ultrasound performed and urine analysis.

To get relief from the pain I suggest you to have hot bath (warm temperature relaxes smooth muscles what is the main cause of the pain), drink plenty of mineral water and have cranberry supplements.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.