Taking medicine for chalymdia. How long it takes for cure?

Mar 2016

HI I went to GYN four weeks ago and the doctor told me I have Chalymdia and she gave two pills for it 500 mgs.. then went back and they said i still have it agian... So recently I went last friday and they said my test came back positive and gave me another 500 mgs (2) .. I was wondering how long would it cure? I have been praying for it go away .. and its embrassed if I tell my new boyfriend.. ( dpont have one now but soon )
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem as per your concern.

Chlamydial genital infection is quite common among sexually active women and they may remain asymptomatic for long time. If it is untreated completely, it may cause other serious complication like PID, ectopic pregnancy, infertility etc.

As you get 2nd time positive test for chlamydia following taking one course of antibiotic, then it means you get reinfection or resistant to above treatment. Here your sexual partner also needs to be treated.

To treat chlamydia infection completely, there are two recommended regimens as per CDC guideline, 2002.

1) Azithromycin 1 gm single dose (may need repeat dose) and/ or 2) Doxycycline for 7 days.

Other alternative drug regimens are erythromycin/ levofloxacin for 7 days duration.

Concurrent use of both azithromycin & doxycycline for treatment of genital chlamydial infection demonstrated that these regimens are highly effective with microbial cure rates of more than 99%.

Please consult with your treating doctor regarding this as above drug regimens are prescription only medication. In addition, you need to complete cure against chlamydia infection before starting any new relationship or sexual activity. Along with maintenance of genital hygiene & protected sex with using condom are key preventive measures against STD.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Taking medicine for chalymdia. How long it takes for cure? 19 minutes later
I already took 500 MGs (2) recently Friday, im not sure if the doctor would give me a different medication. However, the doctor said 1,000 MGs is enough for six weeks to to come back and retest Pap smear on march 20th ...that mean it will never cure your saying ? It will stay for all my life ? How long it normally cure ? It's really scary me...
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for follow up query.

Yes, genital chlamydia infection is definitely cured after taking proper drug regimens and with maintaining key preventive measures (like use of condom & care of genital hygiene). It may not always present all time in your life.

Actually, as you get 2nd time positive test for chlamydia (indicates reinfection) following taking one course of antibiotic, then you may need to take combined drug therapy (azithromycin & doxycycline) for highest efficacy & cure rate against this type of STD. Your sexual partner also needs complete treatment.

Generally azithromycin is recommended for single dose & doxycycline for 7 days for complete cure. Don't be much worried or scared. Just keep focus on treatment protocol. Always hope for the positive result with good spirit.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.