Taking medicine for anxiety. Got elevated level for homocysteine. How to reduce it?

Dec 2012

i have got my homocysteine tested and the number was 29.4, please can you tell the reason why it is so high, I do take medicine for anxiety. Please can you tell me this risks and how to reduce it.
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

In cases of suspected malnutrition or vitamin B12 or folate deficiency, homocysteine levels may be elevated. If you do not get enough B vitamins and/or folate through diet or supplements, then your body may not be able to convert homocysteine to forms that can be used by your body. In this case, levels of homocysteine in the blood can increase.
Some studies suggested that people who have elevated homocysteine levels have a much greater risk of heart attack or stroke than those with average levels. At present, however, the use of homscysteine levels for risk assessment of cardiovascular disease (CVD), peripheral vascular disease, and stroke is uncertain given that several trials investigating folic acid and B vitamin supplementation indicate no benefit or lowering of CVD risk.

A homocysteine blood test is done to:
- Help identify vitamin B12 deficiency or folic acid deficiency. But other tests for these deficiencies are available.
- Help identify a rare inherited disease (homocystinuria) that causes a deficiency of one of several enzymes needed to convert food to energy.
- Help determine a cause for otherwise unexplained blood clots.

Now treatment will depend on your clinical presentation after being evaluated by your doctor of course.
You need to start vitamin B complex and folic acid supplements.
If we assume that high homocysteine level indicate the risk of cardiovascular diseases as earlier mentioned then general measures such as reduce saturated fat, low salt, reduce too much of sugar, exercise regularly, regular BP check up, no alcohol or smoking, screen for diabetes.

Hope this helps
Dr Nsah

Follow-up: Taking medicine for anxiety. Got elevated level for homocysteine. How to reduce it? 9 hours later
Thanks doctor, I have also got my cholestral checked and it is 215. I take Nutrilite Ginseng for anxiety treatment. Please advise how above effects my health. is it confirm that high homocysteine leads to CVD or its just a assumption.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 16 minutes later

The normal total cholesterol level should be less than 200 (which is the recommended value). LDL cholesterol ('bad cholesterol') is the one you should be worried about, maybe if you got that tested it will also be important.
You will need to exercise a little more, maybe placed on medication to normalize cholesterol level, reduce sugar and saturated fat.
The debate about homocysteine being a determinant of CVD risks is still on the table and no consensus is yet established.
In any case just apply the general measures I gave earlier and also talk with your doctor.
Hope this helps
Dr Nsah