Taking medicine for anemia. Losing weight and abdominal pain after eating uncooked rice. Any advice?

Hi I am 48 yrs old male. One year before i use to eat a lots of (half pound a day)uncooked rice. after three month I started a series stomach pain. it is just one inch down and half inch left from navel. It comes and go. But from the last three month it is not going . I have anemia. i am taking iron cap once a day from last one and half month(as per doc advice). From last one year I lost 10 pound weight. I already did colonoscopy. But nothing serious disease found. Now my gastroenterologist say to do MRI which is too much cost. Still I have stomach pain and losing weight. Pls give me advice. what do i need to do. what kind of medicine I should use. Homeopathy or other treatment.
Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 3 hours later

It looks unlikely that eating uncooked rice in the past is the cause of pain.

Since colonoscopy was normal, you need to be investigated further to identify a cause and its treatment. As MRI is costly, the following are the options available to you:

1. We need to work up for cause of anemia whether it is iron deficiency (nutritional) or if you are losing blood in stools; you can get your iron studies and stool occult blood done on three occasions to know about it.
2. You can also get an ESR and ultra sound abdomen done (if it has not been done yet). You also need to exclude eosinophilia on your routine Complete blood count) examination.
3. If Ultrasound is normal and you still continue to lose weight, get an CT scan abdomen done to look for the cause.

In the meanwhile you could use mild antispasmodics to get relief from pain till work up is done. Antispasmodic drugs are available over the counter at some regions while it is a prescription based pill at many other locations. Contact a pharmacist to know about it.

Without knowing the cause, I would not suggest you to try alternative treatment like homeopathy

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need further clarifications.

Wish you a speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Taking medicine for anemia. Losing weight and abdominal pain after eating uncooked rice. Any advice? 26 hours later
I attached my colononscopy photo and biopsy report.
tomorrow I'll get my 2nd blood report. based on my colonoscopy
photo and biopsy report could you tell me what kind of disease it is
and do you suggest any medication.
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 22 hours later

I was able to view the colonoscopy and the biopsy report.

Colonoscopy was not normal. It reveals a large sized polyp in your colon. This polyp perhaps is the cause of anemia.

Since it is a large lesion, if you were to be my patient I would suggest CT Scan and Serum CEA levels test. Based on these new tests, we can decide whether or not it requires removal. Discuss with your current treating doctor about these options.

Hope this helps.