Taking medicine for BP. Noticed erectile dysfunction and small penis size. Is s-numlo safe to take?

Question
sir
1) is S NUMLO 5MG good for BP
2) Dr. adviced me to take TELMA 80 H , NEBICARD 5MG, S NUMLO 5MG
AFTER ME TAKING THE ABOVE DRUGS MY PENIS SIZE BECOM SMALL
AND THERE IS NO ERRECTION OF THE PENIS AT THE TIME OF INTERCOURSE
3) SO I REQUEST U SIR PL ADVICE ME WHICH DRUG SHOULD I TAKE.
4) PL ADVICE ME PROPER MEDICINE FO PROPER ERRECTION OF PENISAT THE TIME OF INTERCOURSE

Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hi.

Thank you for writing to us.

1. S-NUMLO (amlodipine) is a good drug to control hypertension. And is very often prescribed, as it has rare and minimum side effects.

2. Out of the 3 drugs you mentioned, S-NUMLO is the only drug that has a rare side effect (1 in 1000 individuals) of erectile problems after taking the medication. This could be the cause of the erection problem you are experiencing.

3. Please discuss this with your doctor and substitute S-NUMLO with other drugs like: diltiazem, nicardipine, verapamil, etc. As they all belong to the same group of drugs.

4. As this particular drug is causing the problem, once S-NUMLO is discontinued, you should be able to experience an erection. Do not worry about this.

I hope this information helps. You can write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Taking medicine for BP. Noticed erectile dysfunction and small penis size. Is s-numlo safe to take? 10 hours later
sir
thanks for the reply

1) sir, I hav mentioned abt the drugs TELMA 80 H AND NEBICARD 5
AS THIS DRUGS ALSO CAUSE THE ERRECTION PROBLEM.
CAN I USE NEBICARD 5 ARE THE DRUGS MENTIONED IN THE REPLY SHOULD B USED.
2) SIR PL SUGGEST ME GOOD DRUG FOR MY B P PROBLEM WHERE I CAN USE
REGULARLY TO AVOID UP AND DOWN OF THE BP
3) SIR THE DRUGS MENTIONED diltiazem, nicardipine, verapamil, ARE AVAILABLE IN MARKET.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 9 hours later
Hello once again sir.

You are most welcome.

1. Nebicard 5mg and Telma 80 H have not shown any side effects to sexual activity, although it is possible. But, this is unlikely. High blood pressure is controlled differently in different people. If your blood pressure is controlled by less than 3 drugs (as prescribed by your doctor), then you should not require 3 drugs. You will have to monitor your blood pressure regularly without the extra drugs, and discuss with your doctor if you can exclude either one or two of the three drugs (nebicard, telma or s numlo).

2. All the drugs you are currently prescribed are some of he best drugs used to control blood pressure. But, as I have mentioned above, there is no specific treatment for blood pressure, it all depends on the response from the specific individual. Your doctor will have to check your response to the medication you are using, and decide which regimen is the best.

3. Yes sir, the drugs diltiazem, nicardipine and verapamil are easily available in the market.

If you have any further clarifications, please write to me. If I have succeeded in answering your queries, you could rate my answers after closing this discussion. You will be fine soon sir, we have to just find the best drug that suits you, don't worry.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Taking medicine for BP. Noticed erectile dysfunction and small penis size. Is s-numlo safe to take? 37 hours later
sir,
diltiazem, nicardipine, verapamil, given in reply, when contacted my Dr. told that the medicine pertanins to heart . sir is it correct
1) sir is s numlo 5 mg effect to decrease in penis size
2) shall i continune nebicard and telma h for my bp today i checked it is 170/100
3) r pl give me alternate medicine for regular use which dont have sideeffect

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 12 minutes later
Hi once again.

Diltiazem, nicardipine and verapamil can be used to treat heart conditions as well as high blood pressure.

1. S NUMLO has a side effect that causes erectile dysfunction, this is not the same as reduction of penis size. So, S NUMLO does not decrease penis size
2.Yes sir, please continue with nebicard and telma H as your blood pressure is high and uncontrolled
3. All medications have side effects sir. One medicine can help one individual and cause a side effect in another. Thus, it is best to try other drugs which will not have side effects specifically in you. It is best your doctor chooses a drug for you, as he can also monitor the response and accordingly control the dose. The available options are from drug groups: ACEi's, angiotension receptor inhibitors, beta blockers, calcium channel blockers, diuretics.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be happy to help.
Best wishes.