Taking medicine for BP. Finger tips turn yellow and knee turn purple. What is going on?

My knees are purple in color and have been like that for years. There is no pain. Also, the tips of my fingers and toes turn yellow as though there's no blood there. I'm healthy, 59, but do take medication for hbp.
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sunil 4 hours later

This can be a normal variant. You need not to worry about it.

Yellow fingers can be due to anaemia or anti hypertensive drugs you are taking. But it can be a normal variant too. In all cases you need not worry.

If you feel pain in cold weather or your calf muscles hurt during walking then you should be evaluated for raynaud's phenomenon.

You can try Calamine lotion on the area.

You can visit your doctor for examination and get labs like blood haemoglobin levels.

Hope I have answered your query.If you any further question I will be happy to help.

Wish you good health.
Dr Sunil