Taking medications for bipolar disorder. Mood swings after taking herbalife shakes to reduce weight. Medicine interactions?

Yes. My youngest sister, age 50, holds a $89,000 job at a major defense contract firm. About 3 weeks ago she started using Herbalife shakes to reduce weight. She takes medications to control bipolar condition. Everything was going smoothly at work until she started Herbal Life. Since then, she has started imaging sexual harassment in the work place and has completely lost it with her entire work staff. I can't tell if this is the diet program or the contract negotion issues that have caused this collapse. And, I feel partly guilty because I told her to consult a physician before dieting. She says that she went to her doctor and that he sent her to Herbal Life nutrition person. It's hard for me to believe. I've researched and found liver, lung & intestine p-roblems with this diet program. Are there any mental complications too ? Thank you for listening, XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 31 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Based on your description, it is evident that your sister may be suffering from possible side effects of Herbalife. Even though they are claimed to be natural products, side effect profile is not well documented.

There is hardly any study done to document side effects of these herbs. The effects of the drugs on mind, mood and even organs of sexual function are not known. So it would be best if you stop using these medicines which are sold without any proper licensing and no knowledge of side effects.
These are not FDA approved drugs with a known efficacy and safety. These are marketed as health supplements.
The interactions and side effects of a substance is known only by controlled trials which have not been done on such products. Their complete harmful effects on the body are not yet known and are difficult to predict.
Such products commonly cause psychiatric complications which seems to be the case with your sister.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Taking medications for bipolar disorder. Mood swings after taking herbalife shakes to reduce weight. Medicine interactions? 1 hour later
Dear Dr. Tayal,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I am very grateful for your insight and will share your comments with my sister. My best to you and for the services of Healthcare Magic (which I only found by accident while searching for internet info on this topic).

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 36 minutes later
Thanks. It actually makes my day knowing that our services are really helping people a lot.
Hope you will recommend us to your friends too.
Best regards.