Taking medication for sinusitis. Very high blood pressure. Medication side effects?

just went to an urgent care facility about my sinus problem that i have had for the last few weeks....when they took my blood pressure reading it was extremely high 225/127...could this be from the over the counter medication i have been taking to relieve my sypmtoms? i have no history of high blood pressure
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Over the counter medications for sinusitis will not cause such high blood pressure. However please do mention the drugs you had taken for it.

What you have experienced was a hypertensive crisis. You will definitely require long term medications for your blood pressure control and also regular follow ups with the doctor initially for dose modification.

As you are a newly diagnosed hypertensive you will need to undergo the following tests to rule out secondary changes that usually occurs with high blood pressure

1. Serum Creatinine
2. Urine for micro albumin
3. ECG (Electrocardiogram)
4. Fasting lipid profile
5. Fundus examination

Also please follow these advises

1. Follow a low salt diet.
2. Avoid oily food items like French fries, chocolate, pastries.
3. Cardio exercises like cycling, jogging, and swimming for 30 min a day at least for 5 days a week (after your blood pressure comes under control).

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no further queries please accept my answer.

I wish you good health.