Taking medical treatment for depression. Complaining of weak legs. Is depression cause for weak legs?

My husband XXXXX is under medical treatment for depression from the past 15 years. From past year he has been regulalry complaining of weaknees in the legs. He finds it very difficult to get up in the morning and go to work. As per the Dr. the complain of weak legs is on a/c of depression and nothing more. He is otherwise a healthy person and does not smoke and drink. Is depression the only reason for weak legs or our their any other reasons. Kindly convery.
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 30 minutes later
Thanks for using healthcare magic.

I have gone through your available history. Please let me know the medication he is taking.

Weakness in legs might be due to one of following:

1) As a side effect of anti depressant drug
2) Physical causes like electrolyte or vitamin deficiency,
3) As a symptom of depression.

Physical causes should be ruled out by doing blood investigations like hemogram, vitamin B 12 and D deficiency, electrolytes like sodium assay.
You may get prescription from your doctor for the same.

You may consult his psychiatrist for detailed evaluation and management.

Treatment should be directed as per cause.

I hope I have addressed your concern.

Feel free to revert to me in case if you have further query.