Ask a Urologist   »  

Taking macrobid for urinary tract infection. Feeling weak. Precautions to be taken before travelling?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I was diagnosed with a uti - the bug is enterbacter aerogenes. I am taking macrobid for it. I received 2 calls from the prompt care. The first one said I had to take Septra (don't tolerate Cipro) which I strongly prefer not to take as it messes with my mind. The second call was made because they weren't aware that the first call was made, and they told me that the bug is sensitive to the macrobid. I would prefer to stay on the macrobid as I'm tolerating it. The thing is , I feel well then I'll feel weak and shakey. Not sure what's going on. My cbc is normal. Please help - I'm suppose to go on a 10 day trip and I'm concerned about doing it.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The urinary tract infection you are having is responsive to macrobid. Taking the antibiotic for a week regularly will take care of the infection. Regarding the symptoms of weakness and feeling shaky, this is a common symptom seen in presence of any infection.
Once the infection is well controlled, the symptoms will subside. Till then for symptomatic relief, do take plenty of fresh cranberry juice, energy and electrolyte XXXXXXX sports drinks and acetaminophen in case you are febrile.
You also need to monitor your blood pressure during the shaky spells to rule out hypotension.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Taking macrobid for urinary tract infection. Feeling weak. Precautions to be taken before travelling? 1 hour later
Doctor, does your answer still hold true had the infection gone up into my right kidney? (Which it had) It wasn't simply cystitis.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
More is the spread of infection, more will be the systemic manifestations. Please do not worry. Minor dietary changes and taking plenty of fluids will be helpful.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Taking macrobid for urinary tract infection. Feeling weak. Precautions to be taken before travelling? 12 hours later
I'm sorry but I don't understand your answer. Are you stating that the macrobid will take care of a kidney infection as well as cystitis? Please clarify what the dietary changes look like...that is, how should I change my diet?
thanks again,
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Macrobid will take care of both cystitis and the renal infection.
Some measures which can help you:
1)Drink lots of water.

2)Empty the bladder completely as soon as you feel the urge to urinate.

3)Pass the urine before and after intercourse.

4)Wear loose cotton undergarments and wash them in antiseptic solution.

5)Take Cranberry juice as it inhibits bladder infection.

6)Take Vitamin C tablet Celin once a day for few months. It will help in increasing your immunity.

7) Avoid coffee, alcohol, and spicy foods, all of which irritate the bladder.

8) Quit smoking. Smoking irritates the bladder
Hope this helps you.
Best regards.