Taking low ogestrel for her heavy periods. Hair started shedding. Suggestion

Hi my daughter is taking low ogestrel for her heavy periods. She has been on for 6 weeks. Her hair suddenly started shedding and I wondered if it was that. She did just have minor surgery with pain meds and it seemed to start a few days after. Should I worry it is the bc pill?
Posted Mon, 2 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 1 hour later
thanks for the query.

Hormonal contraceptives are well known to cause hair loss. This effect could be particularly severe in women who are predisposed genetically. Progesterone only pills are also amongst the top pills that cause hair loss in females.

The American Hair Loss Association (AHLA) acknowledges that most pills are safe and effective but also that women especially those who have a history of hair loss in their family should be aware of the potentially devastating effects of birth control pills on hair growth.

AHLA thus recommends that women with potential of hair loss due to contraceptives should be put on low-androgen index birth control pills such as norgestimate (in Ortho-Cyclen), norethindrone (in Ovcon 35), desogestrel (in Mircette) etc

If even on low androgen index pills there is still loss of hair, then she won't have more than one choice other than stopping the pills. Mefenamic acid (ponstyl) is widely used for menorrhagia or heavy bleeding and is usually first choice before embarking on contraceptive pills.

You should consider discussing with her treating doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you do have further query, i will be glad to respond.
Best regards