Taking lovenox. Got injury and swelling appeared. Not getting relief from tylenol. Required treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
9 y/o son on lovenox who hit XXXXXXX on playground this afternoon. Tried RICE but he isn't tolerating ace wrap or weight of even soft gel ice pack. Definetly a contusion but looks more than a hematoma because it's substantial in the size of a bump. Tylenol isn't relieving his pain. Hate to call hemo at the late hour.
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later
Since your son is taking lovenox and aspirin, the bleeding is likely to be more than expected even from a small injury. NSAIDs are not indicated as these can aggravate the bleeding.
Tylenol is the safest pain killer he can take for the time being. Doing a compression bandage with a crepe bandage will help in reducing the swelling. Keep his foot raised on two pillows will be helpful. You can stop aspirin to decrease the bleeding he is having.
The pain killers like hydrocodone can help him but these are not available without a prescription. Meanwhile you can give him a codeine based cough syrup if it available.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. RakhiTayal.
Follow-up: Taking lovenox. Got injury and swelling appeared. Not getting relief from tylenol. Required treatment? 6 hours later
Hi Dr Tayal,

Just looked at Christian's leg and it looks horrible and he is not able to ambulate now. He has a Rx for hydrocodone from a minor surgery this summer so I'm going to give him one and see if he can tolerate a wrap.

At what point can I try heat or alternate heat with ice? What are risk of compartment with hematoma on shin?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
You can alternate heat with ice at least 48 hours after the injury when the active bleeding would have stopped completely. If the swelling is a big one, t is best to consult an orthopedician and get an X-ray done to rule out the fracture.
Compartment syndrome can develop in case of severe hematomas. If the pain is persistent then a physical evaluation is necessary.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.