Taking losartin for high BP, causes to cough continuously. Used ziac previously. Advise?

I am taking losartin for high blood pressure. It causes me to cough continuously throughout the day and night.
I used to take Ziac with no side effects but suddenly I had Losartin as a substitute...I don't know if Ziac is off the market or out of the formulary or what but I need to know of a different blood pressure med that does not have this terrible coughing side effect.
Posted Mon, 8 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 44 minutes later
Dear patient,

You are not alone. As much as 10% of patients prescribed ACE inhibitors (such as lisinopril) or ARB's (such as losartan) can have that dry, hacking cough as a side effect, and warrants substitution by another class of blood pressure medication; here would be some examples you can discuss with your prescriber:

1) Diuretics: chlorthalidone, indapamide, hydrochlorothiazide
2) Calcium channel blockers: amlodipine, diltiazem, verapamil
3) Beta blockers: carvedilol, metoprolol, bisoprolol

As you see, there are many options, most of them come as generics as well.

Truly yours,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN