Taking lorezepam and retalin with alcohol. Prescribed prestige s/p. Changes includes slurred speech and stumbling. Suggest?

Dec 2014

I am concerned with someone close acting very out of character. I know he is taking 1 mg of lorezepam and retalin with alcohol. He has been prescribed prestige s/p and I'm not sure if he is taking that too. I believe he may have stopped the prestique s/p? and is on the others. Changes include slurred speech, unsteady on his feet, stumbling, slitted eyes, crying, out of character aggression and suicidal talk of "I'm done", he's just hopeless. What would the mix of the first sentence due to someone? The same doctor is prescribing the two meds in the first sentence and he is drinking on it as well
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Pristiq is desvenlafexine and it is a SNRI drug. It is a good anti anxiety and anti depressant drug. The drug usually show effect in about 4 weeks.

He is taking Lorazepam daily mixed with alcohol and this is causing cocktail effect. Ritalin is increasing his behavioral dysrrgulation. His symptoms like slurred speech, mood swings, labile mood, crying spells, hopelessness, worthlessness etc are features of depression and it is being aggravated by alcohol. The ideas that 'I am done' and hopelessness should not be ignored. He need urgent psychiatric attention.

If he stop to take alcohol, lorazepam will take care of the symptoms of anxiety and other withdrawal symptoms. Pridtiq can control depression but he need some more potent drugs like SSRIs as Escitalopram or sertaline. Mirtazepine is also a good drug for his symptoms.

Hope this helps you, if you have more queries you can ask again.