Taking lorazepam for anxiety. Noticed blue veins on breast, chest and hip with lower back pain

Feb 2013

Hi. I have a sudden onset if blue veins on my breasts and chest and hips. I take lorazepam for anxiety. My left left hurts and my lower back. This has been ongoing. I've been to the ER for a blot lot sono and that came out negative in my left leg. I'm getting nervous because he fins are out of character or my body. Is this a disease?
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 4 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Superficial veins will be visible in the skin and they are usually abundant on the chest, breasts. This is a normal thing.

Discrete veins on the chest, breasts, and on the hips may not be a abnormal finding.

But if there are some venous connections, they may be abnormal and suggestive of some disease, like the following :

1. Veins in the flanks (sides of abdomen) which are connecting the veins of the
lower abdomen with the veins of the chest. This type of vein channels are
seen in obstruction of the big vein-Inferior vena cava.

2. Veins around the umbilicus, which are spreading out from umbilicus-known as
caput medusae. This type of veins are seen in chronic liver diseases.

And physical examination is important by a Doctor to assess the pattern of veins and the flow of blood in the veins to tell they are normal or abnormal.

Therefore I advise you to consult your Physician for physical examination and for further investigations if required.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarifications please let me know.