Taking lisonabrul for hbp, using magnifying glasses for reading. Reason for loss of balance while walking?

Nov 2013

I usually walk about 3 miles a day. During my walk I sometimes feel a loss of balance. I am on lisonabrul for high blood pressure. Also I use magnifying glasses for reading only. Could I need glasses all of the time ?
Thank you, XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms do not point to any serious disease.

Regarding reading glasses, you need it only for reading or for any other near vision activities. Only if you have myopia (where one can not see distant objects clearly), glasses are required all of the time.

In your case, possible causes of episodes of loss of balance could be either neuropathy (where the small nerves in the feet do not function normally, so that the ground sensations can not be properly felt). Other cause to be looked at is any vestibular dysfunction (due to any problem with vestibular- balancing-nerve located in the ear).

If your problems persist or get worse, a neurological evaluation would be useful. As of now, you could wait and watch and may be take vitamin B12 supplements.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist