Taking lisinopril-hctz. Getting feeling of flushing in face and hoarse voice. Should I stop this medicine?

I was on Lisinopril-Hctz 10/12.5. Side effects were by 2pm flushing in face and hoarse voice. I stopped the RX and we are trying others. If I had stayed with the Lisinopril would the side effects eventually go away?
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 47 minutes later

Lisinopril is a commonly prescribed anti-hypertensive. The adverse effect mentioned by you, commonly termed as angioedema, happens in <1% of patients taking this class of drug and is commonly found in asians or african asians and less commonly in whites.

Once this adverse effect develops, patient is given antihistaminics, steroids or subcutaneous epinephrine and the drug has to be permanently discontinued as its continuation may lead to recurrence of angioedema in a more severe way which may require mechanical ventilation.

So I think it's better to change to other class of medication, rather than continuing it. Here AT1 antagonists like losartan are also not preferable as the same problem can arise with them too.

I hope you have got your answer.

Best wishes,
Follow-up: Taking lisinopril-hctz. Getting feeling of flushing in face and hoarse voice. Should I stop this medicine? 37 minutes later
I had no swelling. Just a warm feeling in the face. Is this still called angioedema?

I likened it to a woman having a heat flash during menopause change.
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 30 minutes later

Thanks again for follow up.

No in angioedema usually there is noticeable facial puffiness. There may be airway edema causing hoarseness, some sort of difficulty in breathing if severe. What I meant is allergic reactions are relatively rare with this drug, but if present second dose should be better avoided. If you think, it was milder one you can go for a second dose but with proper precaution and antihistaminics like pheniramine maleate in hand. If it becomes severe rush to emergency room.

You can post if you have any further query.

Best of luck,