Taking levothyroxine for hypothyroidism. Safe to take marijuana?

Can a person with hypothyroidism and taking levothyroxine use marijuana recreationally?
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Marijuana has a particular psychoactive ingredient called THC. This ingredient is said to depress thyroid function. This is the reason why medical marijuana is used in treating patients with HYPERthyroidism.

As you have been diagnosed with HYPOthyroidism, and are on a good drug (levothyroxine), the effect of marijuana on your thyroid would be to further cause hypothyroidism. This might cause an imbalance of your thyroid function and neutralize the effect of levothyroxine.

I would thus advice against the use of marijuana in your case to avoid any complications.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be happy to help you.

Best wishes.