Taking levocetirizine 5mg for dermatographic urticaria. Noticed red itchy pimples all over body. Any solutions?

Jul 2012

Hi, I am having dermatographic urticaria from 2 and half years now. Since then am taking levocetirizine 5mg pill daily. Also i have small red kind of pimpes on my back and is spreading all over. whenever i eat food with fats (like chocoate, icecream) the itchiness will increase. Especially in night the itching will be prominent even after taking tablet. One of the doctor told I have to take the levocet for 2-3 years. Please help me in this. No one is taking my problem seriously..

Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 53 minutes later
Hi there.
Please stick with your current dermatologist's opinion. Benzyl Peroxide 10% may help your back lesions to subside.
Urticaria by itself is a difficult condition for any dermatologist to deal with let alone dermatographic urticaria. You may benefit from a clinical psychologist opinion as stress usually plays a big role.
If from Bangalore, please do drop in for a consultation. In the interim, long term use of levocetrizine will not cause too many problems if it is keeping the condition under check! Perhaps a mast cell stabilizer in addition (ask your dermatologist) will be additionally useful. Cheers & Good Luck; Keep the faith. It takes time & slow elimination of possible allergens.
Regds & wish you a clear skin soon!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India

Follow-up: Taking levocetirizine 5mg for dermatographic urticaria. Noticed red itchy pimples all over body. Any solutions? 2 hours later
1 more query sir, you said long term use of levocet will not cause any problems. For how ong I can continue it. Have you treated anyone with such condition. If so for them how ong it took to get over? pls suggest. Currenty am in pune, once i shift to bangaore i will contact you. Can I opt for aayurvedic medicines side by side?.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Hi again,
No fixed period for continuation of same. One can try to change or rotate the antihistamine to say fexofenadine180mg once/day instead of levocetrizine; do XXXXXXX a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist in Pune; yes you may opt for ayurvedic medications in the interim albeit will admit i dont know if they work side by to check with them :) take care & you are most welcome to Blore to visit anytime. Cheers & Good Day!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD