Ask a Urologist   »  

Taking lasix. Found elevated creatinine level. How to lower this level?

My husbands creatinine went up from 2.3 to 3.2 . HE has been taking Lasix and we suspect that might have been the reason it went up. If he is able to reduce the dosage or stop taking the lasix will the creatinine level come down or has permanent damage been done?
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 25 minutes later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your husband has diabetic nephropathy wit hypertension and has been taking Lasix.

His recent increase in creatinine levels from 2.3 to 3.2 is not due to Lasix but primarily due to his kidney disease itself.

Lasix helps in improving the diuresis to increase urine output and thereby helps in lowering serum creatinine levels.

Please consult your Nephrologist for evaluation and to modify the treatment.

Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.

Follow-up: Taking lasix. Found elevated creatinine level. How to lower this level? 20 minutes later
We spoke with the nephrologist and she felt that the increase in creatinine was related to the increase in Lasix. My husband has only been taking it daily for the past 5 months or so.
We just realized that the pharmacist gave us 40 mg pills instead of 20 and didn't cut them in half so my husband has been taking double the dose for weeks without realizing it. The nephrologist's father is dying and she is not available to answer our questions right now.
That is why we wondered if the dosage is decreased would the creatinine go down.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 19 minutes later
You can lower the dose of Lasix to 20 mg daily and repeat the serum Creatinine after a week to see the status. However since he has chronic kidney disease fluctuations in serum creatinine levels are known to occur and are to be monitored frequently.

The rise of 1 mg of creatinine over a period of 5 months should not be worried for.

Please revaluate him once your Nephrologist resumes his practice.

Thanks and Regards.
We are worried because the change in creatinine level changed his GFR estimated rate from 29 to 20. We are afraid that means he will soon need dialysis or transplant.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Thanks for follow up.
Normally Dialysis is indicated when serum creatinine goes above 8 mg and transplant is indicated only when outcome of dialysis is not satisfactory or one needs frequent dialysis to keep creatinine under critical levels.
Please monitor his serum creatinine frequently.
Thanks and Regards.