Taking lamotrogine and quetiapine. Have borderline kidney disease. Is this due to medicine?

I have just been diagnosed with borderline kidney disease. No treatment needed but close scrutiny required. I have been taking Lamotrogine and quetiapine on and off for 13 years. I have recently stopped taking these drugs. I am now a healthy and fit 70 year old female with no family history of renal disease. Is it possible that these drugs are involved in the problem? Also what can I expect in the future? Is kidney failure inevitable or can it improve?
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Maruti Karale 2 hours later

Your kidney problem is not because of these drugs. Both the drugs that you were taking are excreted through liver hence they do not affect kidneys on long term use.

Your kidney disease could be age related still other possibilities needs to be ruled out.
Whether kidney function can improve or not that depends upon cause of kidney dysfunction. If your kidney damage is due to chronic renal failure, there less chances of complete recovery but you can prevent further damage and can have a healthy life.

Monitor kidney function monthly, avoid nephrotoxic drugs and drink adequate amount of water.

Hope this solves your problem.

Thank you.