Taking lamotrigine, zoloft and buspar. Having rash on left elbow area. Should I go to ER?

May 2013
I am taking lamotrigine 25 mg 3xday just increased 3 weeks ago also on Zoloft,buspar,trazadone. I have a rash on my left elbow area. Should I go to the emergency room?
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better to go to emergency room

Detailed Answer:
Yes, better to go to emergency room and get examined.
Lamotrigine may lead to serious conditions like XXXXXXX XXXXXXX syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis etc.
They may manifest as unexplained skin rash.
Usually skin rash is seen between first 2 to 8 weeks after starting the drug or increasing the dose.
All rashes may not indicate serious problem.
Though the incidence of above mentioned serious reactions is low, better to get examined because of their severity.
Zoloft containing sertraline can also cause rash as a side effect.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion.