Taking kadian. Have stomach pain and diarrehea. Prescribed vicoden. What to do?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
Question
I was taking kadian 20mg for abt 6 month I ran out and been out for a5 days and I haven't felt good. I have stomach pain and diarrehea. The Dr wrote a new prescription for 10mg and unable to get fill. The doctor wrote me a new order for vicoden. I don't know what to do
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vicodin will help you.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Healthcare Magic!

The stomach pain and the diarrhea are the withdrawal symptoms of Kadian (morphine). You may also be having yawning, sneezing, sweating, watering from eyes and nose, goose flesh, body aches, anxiety and disturbed sleep. Since the prescription could not be refilled and you were in withdrawal, your doctor prescribed you Vicodin which contains hydrocodone and paracetamol. Hydrocodone is an opioid like morphine and will help reduce your withdrawal symptoms. So please do not worry and take Vicodin as prescribe by your doctor. You will feel better after taking it.

Hope this helps you. Please feel free to ask if you need any clarifications.

Best wishes.

Dr Preeti Parakh
MD Psychiatry

Follow-up: Taking kadian. Have stomach pain and diarrehea. Prescribed vicoden. What to do? 2 hours later
Thank you so much. I will take the vicodin.

Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Remember to take adequate fluids.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

In addition to the Vicodin, please also remember to take lots of fluids. It will help prevent dehydration.

Best wishes.

Dr Preeti Parakh
MD Psychiatry