Taking isotretinion 20 mg for acne and red marks on face. Is there any home remedy?

Im getting married in end november i.e a month from now. I had an outburst of acne with birth control pills which i took for contraception. Since there was little time, my doctor put me on isotretinion 20 mg for 20 days and now she wants me to go down to 10 mg a day. My skin has 1 pimple and many red scars ( i scar very badly) and little bumps. I had the follwoing questions on my 20th day of 20 mg..since it is working well, should i stop it and go to 10 mg or should i continue it for another week.
2. Will reducing to 10 mg make the medicine less effective?
3. What can i do to lighten the marks? Is there any home remedy etc?

Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in Acne
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

First reduced the isotretinoin dose as your doctor advised, as isotretinoin is not prefered in women which are in reproductive age group. it`s well know teratogenic drug which severely affect the pregnancy outcome. Teratogenic effect is 3yr after last dose

For your marks and lighten the skin you should visit to your local dermatologist for chemical peel. Variety of chemical peels available and will be chosen according to your skin type and condition of present skin. Chemical peel lighten the skin color and make skin to look young and glowing. You may need 5-7 sittings for your problem.
Try these simple measures concurrently with treatment:
-drink lots of water
-take fresh fruits daily
-wash your face 3-4 times daily with facewash.
-aerobic exercise 30 min daily
-multivitamin capsules like Becosules 2 times per day

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.