Taking instamet 50/500 from last four months. How long should I continue it?

i am taking instamet 50/500 from last four months how long should i continue it
my sugar at fasting was 315 when i started intamet , currently it is 158 (fasting)
Posted Wed, 10 Oct 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 27 minutes later

Istamet is very effective and commonly used medication with least side effects compared to other medications of the drug class.

Oral hypoglycaemic drugs (drugs lowering the blood sugar levels) like Istamet has to be taken life long in a diagnosed diabetic unless the drug is not serving the purpose.

The drug or the dosage should be consider for change if they are not controlling the blood sugar levels.

The istamet seems to have controlled your blood sugar level.Do continue on the same dosage.If there is any further decrease in the fasting sugar levels (below 100) then there would be need for lowering the dosage.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Taking instamet 50/500 from last four months. How long should I continue it? 7 minutes later
thank you doctor can you suggest any diet plan along with this medication? i check my sugar levels once a week at home do you think this is ok ? do i need to take any other tests? which ones and how frequently
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 42 minutes later
Hi again,

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, with sugar levels you mentioned above and the medications a weekly check would be sufficient.

Yes, there is a reliable test called "HbA1c" levels .This is a blood test which indicates the sugar control over the period of last three months.It will quantify the effect of the medication you are on.Do get it done as it helps to know the control by the medications is good or not optimum.This done every three months would be a better observation over the sugar control.

For a better diet plan do consult our dietician who shall prepare a better suited diet chart considering your weight, medical condition, food style etc.Such a well planned diet chart would be very essential for good health.

Do follow this link..
Wish you good health.