Taking implanon birth control. Had unprotected sex and having milky white discharge. Had a spot of blood. Could I be pregnant?

Mar 2016

Hi, After having the implanon birth control for 5 years I recently had it takened out a week ago when I had it taken out I was on my period. I had unprotected sex and 3 days later my period stopped then on the 4th day I had a milky white discharge then today I had a pinkish-brown tint when I wipe that lasted all day until about an hour ago I had a spot of blood I took a pregnancy test but it was negative could I be pregnant??
Also I have been having light cramping not all the time, a little bloating, and an increase in thirst, as well as hot flashes, and a little lower back soreness today
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) IMPLANON is a highly effective birth control implant and has failure rate near about 0.05%. Therefore, chance of pregnancy is extremely rare or low. You also got negative pregnancy test. However, you can undergo one blood test for beta hCG after few days waiting to clear doubts about pregnancy (rare).

2) You had taken off the implant during period 1 week ago and did unprotected sex at that time which was extremely safe. There is no chance of pregnancy.

3) The underlying cause could be Withdrawal effect of IMPLANON itself (Most Common in this context), pelvic or vaginal infection, cervical or endometrial polyp, hormonal imbalance, change in weight, mental stress etc.

4) You can wait few more days to get rid off above features naturally. In the mean time, you must take balanced diet, avoid mental stress, maintain genital hygiene and take adequate rest.

5) Some medication like anti-spasmodic (drotaverine) with antacid (Ranitidine) may be taken for symptomatic relief.

6) If irregular spotting and above features persist more than 1 week, you have to consult with your gynecologist to make a concrete diagnosis by proper pelvic examination, Trans Vaginal Ultrasound scan and hormone test.

Hope, above information is quite helpful to you. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and practice safe sex in future also.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Taking implanon birth control. Had unprotected sex and having milky white discharge. Had a spot of blood. Could I be pregnant? 19 minutes later
i also had unprotected sex before i had it removed i didn't know i was not suppose to do that could that also mean something.?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

I have already mentioned that pregnancy rate is just 0.05% with unprotected sex while you are on IMPLANON. You have gotten your period also. So, your chance of pregnancy is quite low or rare.

However, I suggest you to repeat the home pregnancy test after one week or undergo one blood test for beta hCG to exclude rare possibility of pregnancy and clear your all doubts. In addition, you must follow my earlier advices.

Hope, I have guided you properly. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

Good luck. All the best.

Dr Soumen