Taking hydrocortisone. Noticed frequent urination and sleepiness. What to do?

Regarding the hydrocortisone (cortef) that I am presently taking 10mg. in am and 5 mg at suppertime... When I first started taking it I had a surge of energy that I hadn't felt in a long time but after two to three weeks the energy level has dropped off again and some XXXXXXX I could sleep most of the day (although I don't) . Is this to be expected. Also I have noticed that I seem to urinate more frequently since I have been taking this medication. I might add that during those first few weeks of taking the medication there were a number of stress factors in my life, both good and bad, but it felt as tough I had depleted my energy. The reason I am taking the cortef is because my cortisol levels are low, due to the pituitary macroadenoma which has been previously discussed..
Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 44 minutes later
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your query.

Looking into the history that you have provided carefully I find that you are suffering from multiple problems . Just with the basis of history we cannot pinpoint the diagnosis but we can discuss the possibilities.

Yes use of steroids may cause a surge of energy in intial use .The most probable cause for your fatigue would be steroid induced muscle weakness which occurs with chronic use of steroids .It is an insidious disease process that causes weakness mainly to the proximal muscles of the upper and lower limbs and to the neck flexors. There is a feeling of inability to do anything and great fatigue in lifting hands , getting up from sitting position .

Well I advise you to see your treating doctor because only after physical examination weakness can be documented .Accordingly treatment would be done .

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti