Taking hydrocodone for back and leg pain. Diagnosed with low T. What should I do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been taking hydrocodone for the past 4 years for back and leg pain. Usualy at night to enable sleep. I take 1- 5/500 tab at bedtime and one more during the night. None during the day. I also have been diagnosed with low T and receive bi-weekly injections for that. On a recent blood test, I showed negative for hydrocodone. Any idea why this would happen? Thx, XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Can happen due to a dilute urine. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The negative test for hydrocodone even if you are taking the drug regularly can happen due to a dilute urine or taking multivitamin or herbal supplements like echinacea or garlic. It is best to decrease your fluid intake and concentrate your urine next time you are going to be tested for the drug. If the test comes negative repeatedly they may stop giving you further prescriptions considering you to be a drug defaulter. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Taking hydrocodone for back and leg pain. Diagnosed with low T. What should I do? 2 hours later
As I stated, it was a blood test, there was no urine involved. Just as taking opiates can lower the testosterone levels, I was wondering if taking testosterone injections could somehow lower the blood opiate level in turn? I am doing 1ML-bi weekly. As for taking supplements, I am taking vitimin D, melatonin and prilosec daily also. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Testosterone can increase the metabolism. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. Testosterone can increase the metabolism of hydrocodone thus making the blood levels lower than usual at a faster rate. But this is not clinically significant. Vitamin D and Melatonin are not likely to affect the hydrocodone levels in the blood. Prilosec inhibits the hydrocodone metabolism thus making its plasma concentration higher. Getting a repeat test done will help. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards