Taking heavy diet for muscle enlargement. Suggest the best protein supplement and its dosage?

"Hello Sir, I am 21 year old male from Mumbai , India. My weight is 68 kg and height is 5'7.

from last 5 months i am doing regular workout . from last 2 month i start doing heavy workout also i am taking good diet useful for muscle enlargement like chicken,meat,egg,milk ,coffee ,banana ,fish ,yogurt and dry fruits .

but now i am deciding to take supplement protein so suggest me the best protein and creatine supplements and also dosages i.e .pre and post workout cause my trainer in not certified and i cant't trust his knowledge for this .

Thanks For Attention ,please Reply ASAP XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later

Thanks for your question.

About protein supplements - Usually one needs 20-25 gms of whey protein supplements per day; but in an athlete it can be increased up to 40-45 gms per day. Not to forget one also needs to take another natural dietary source of protein like milk, egg, meat, legumes, etc. Till today there is no long time advantage found of protein supplement but in athletes some short time benefit is seen in different international studies.

About creatine supplements; usually there is two phase
-loading phase where the requirements is 20-25 gms per days for 5-7 days
followed by maintenance phase in which the requirements is 3-5 gms per day.
Before taking it you should have to check your initial body creatine levels.

After 3-4 months muscle mass start to increase as well as body creatine store; but remember in 3-8% of the cases creatine supplement causes severe weight gain due to water retention.

Both protein and creatine supplements till today there are no long term advantage found in any international study; so they are not FDA approved. Before taking any supplements please consult a nutritionist. He will calculate the dose and schedule.

Hope this answers your query. Should you require any other information please feel free to ask me.

Best wishes,

Dr Sourav Ganguly
Follow-up: Taking heavy diet for muscle enlargement. Suggest the best protein supplement and its dosage? 1 hour later
thank you sir I will start giving Emphasis on natural protein and small fraction of whey protein

but , 20-25 gms of whey protein supplements per day and creatine 20-25 gms per days for 5-7 days means exact how many spoon .

and is it necessary to remove yellow part of boil egg while eating, i ate only 2 eggs per day except Saturday can i increase egg intake
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 34 minutes later

Usually one teaspoon = 5 gms; so now I think you can calculate. Please refer to the instruction manual to confirm this.
And also remember 3 teaspoon=1 tablespoon, so calculate on the basis of spoon you use.

Regarding egg intake, it is not necessary to remove the yellow yolk part unless you have serum lipid profile abnormality.

Also remember that only protein intakes are not healthy. Your diet needs to be balanced containing all the basic nutrients. So do discuss about your diet with a nutritionist before implementing it.

Best Wishes,

Dr Sourav Ganguly