Taking glycomet 500 SR and on controlled diet. Should I change medicine?

Hi Doc
I am taking Glycomet 500 SR for the last 3 years. I follow strict diet control with minimal sugar intake. I am able to exercise atleast twice a week ( 2-3 km ). For the last one and half months my fasting glucose level has gone up in the range of 120 - 140. Usually my glucode level in the evening before meal is well within limits (100-145). My last Gly1Ac was 7.25. SHould i change my medication and start taking Glycomet gp1 ( in night post meal and continue with Glycomet 500 SR in the morning ) ?
Posted Tue, 7 Aug 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Amit Rajput 4 hours later

Thank you for posting your query

Blood glucose levels keep on increasing with the duration of diabetes. Accordingly, changes should be made in the medicines to keep the glucose levels within the acceptable limits to avoid complications of diabetes in the future.

Your fasting blood glucose and Hba1c suggest you clearly need change in medications. Instead of self medicating, I suggest you XXXXXXX your physician and let him decide the medicines after clinical examination. These are prescription drugs with important side effects and should be started only under the supervision of a physician.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries, if any.