Taking glyciphase and amaryl for high blood sugar level. Is this ok?

I am having Blood sugar 200 post meal and take 1mg glyciphase in the morning, than I take amaryl 2mg after meal
is it ok or should I change medicine
Posted Sun, 13 Jan 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 28 minutes later

Thanks for sharing your concern,

You are having Diabetes Type II for last 12 years; I hope you must be taking care of your diet and exercises.

Glyciphage is Metformin and very good drug for diabetes type II please let me know how much dose you are taking is it 1 gm (1000mg)? Amaryl is good drug please continue to take medicines regularly.
Your PPBS is 200mg which is slightly high, it would be desirable to control blood sugar level a little better, if possible by diet and exercise only without increasing your medicines.

We can also check HbA1c level to know status of blood sugar level in last few months. Accordingly we will be able to decide whether the dosage has to be increased or not.

Hope this information helps you and if you have any further query, I will be happy to answer that.

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.
Follow-up: Taking glyciphase and amaryl for high blood sugar level. Is this ok? 18 hours later
I also take cardace 2.5 once daily along with the diabetic medicine.
want to know whether the doses of diabetic medicine is ok as well should I change cardace as I am diabetic. my weight is 89 kg and Height 5'8'' age 62yrs. and do not have any other probelem
I am taking 1gm glyciphage once in the morning after Break Fast
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 2 hours later
Thanks for your input,
You are taking Glyciphage 1 gm /day, which is good for you.
Other medicine is for high BP and also protects kidneys in case of diabetes, so please continue Cardace and if possible dose of Cardace can be increased if your BP permits in consultation with treating Physician.
Please take care of your diet and exercise so as to reduce some weight.
Reducing weight helps to control diabetes better, if you lose 7-8 kg weight it would help.
You can recheck FBS, PPBS and HbA1c depending on results dosage of medicines may be decided.

With Regards.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.