Taking glycinorm total 60 to control blood sugar level. Should I continue this medicine?

Question
Sir! I am taking glycinorm total 60 (twice daily)since last 2 years to control my blood sugar level. Should I continue this medicine? My blood sugar is 110 (FBS) & 268 (PPBS)
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 28 minutes later
Dear patient,

Thanks for your health concerns. Once your body loses the ability to control sugars and you become diabetic, it is a chronic disease that is not cured and needs long term medications. You should continue on your medication because of this reason, and follow up with your regular doctor.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Cardiology
Mayo Clinic MN

Follow-up: Taking glycinorm total 60 to control blood sugar level. Should I continue this medicine? 14 hours later
Dear Sir,

My doctor is telling that taking a particular medicine in controlling sugar for a long time ( 1year) will put adverse effect. Is it true that we should change the medicine in regular interval?

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 14 hours later
Dear patient,

Thanks for the follow up. Glicazide which is the generic substance that you are taking is an antidiabetic medication that works by stimulating the secretion of insulin from your owm body; if you have tolerated the medication well with no side effects, I do not see a particular reason to "switch it" or "change it" at different intervals. What happens actually unfortunately is that diabetes is progressive and after many years these medications lose their efficacy and insulin injections are indicated by then.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Cardiology
Mayo Clinic MN