Taking glocophase for diabetes. Got high blood pressure after reducing dose. Any advice?

Hello doctor my name is XXXXXX and iam diabetic and i have been advice to take glocophase XR-1500mg last year in XXXXXXX I have been taking it for 3months and then i resduce the mg to 1000 and since last 3months i have reduced to 750mg today I cheaked my blood sugar it is 217, do I have to take 1500mg for life is'nt it too high please advice
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 7 hours later

Diabetes control is not done based on one or two sugar reports. It is done based on he average sugar of last three months which is assessed by your HbA1c. You need to tell me what you HbA1c is and if not you need to get it done as soon as possible.

As far as reduction of dose of medication is concerned it would depend on your HbA1c. If your HbA1c is <7.0 we can continue with your present dosage, if not we can increase or reduce your medications.

1500 mg of Metformin (which is your medication) is not high, maximum dose is 2500 mg a day. But generally we dont give dose above 1000 mg alone, and we combine with other medications.

Whether, you will require the same dose or not , it depends on you. If you do a good diet and exercise control , we can reduce you medication requirement, if not it may remain the same or go higher.

In summary , you need to get you HbA1c done and have the report sent to me, or if you have already done it, you can upload the data and we will decide your medications after that.

Hope this was helpful
Dr. Om Lakhani, MD
Follow-up: Taking glocophase for diabetes. Got high blood pressure after reducing dose. Any advice? 7 days later
As suggested by u I have done hba1c And the result is 6.9 without fasting
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 30 minutes later

Your Hba1c is good and under normal range. You can continue the present dose of 750 mg. Plz check your Fasting blood sugar and 2hr post prandial sugars 2 to 3 times a week for 2 week and let me know so we can make adjustments accordingly. You can repeat your hba1c after 3 months.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Om Lakhani