Taking glemont f and becozinc for cold, blocked nose and mild asthma. CT scan, blood test done

ENT Specialist
I had problem of common cold, blocked nose and mild respiratory problem with symptoms of mild asthma since childhood. The problem went away with time. Lately I shifted to Bangalore, and again started facing this problem of cold, blocked nose, sensation of sneezing most of the times, feeling of mucus in nasal passages, and mild asthma. I normally use Aerocort for getting relief from asthma symptoms (normally once or twice in a week). I used Montek LC and fluticasone nasal sprays which helped. Lately I used Medrol 4mg, Glemont F and Becozinc for about 10 days, which again helped. I went through CT scan and blood tests. My CT scan shows DNS toward right and left maxillary sinusitis. My blood test shows Total IgE as 161 IU/ml and ESR at 18 mm/Hr. I was given opinion of going through septoplasty, balloon sinuplasty. However I would like to try with medications if I could avoid surgery. What should be my future course of action. Is there anything specific that I should do if it seems to be an allergic problem.
P.S. : I raised this question earlier, but that time I didn't have my Blood Test report which I received today.
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 13 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Since your medication is working, continue it for a month and then use it on alternate days for another month. Then reduce to once in 3 days for another month. If there is any acute infection with fever, discontinue the steroid spray for a few days. You may also revert to an earlier dosage if symptoms recur and then again taper over a couple of months.

2. This way, you will give adequate time for recovery to take place. There is no need to rush into surgery.

3. Your IgE levels are within normal limits. ESR is slightly raised if this is the reading after 1 hour. A single raised test result is not considered significant. If the ESR is raised over serial tests a few weeks apart, they signify some chronic inflammation in the body.

4. There is no cure for allergy, however, it may be controlled. Avoiding the allergens and known triggers is the best defense.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.