Taking ginette for PCOS. Had intercourse on pill free day. Chances of pregnancy?

I am on ginette 35 since last 3-4 years for the treatment of PCOS.
My last LMP was on 2nd April 2012. I started the new pack on 4th april as prescribed by my doctor and the pills ended on 24th of april. I did not miss any pill during this time. I had unprotected sex on 25th(1st pill free day, and within 12 hours of consuming the last pill). I want to knw if there are any chances of pregnancy. Also i would like to know whether i can get pregnant if i have sex anytime between the 7 pill free day
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 43 minutes later
Hi Miss Choudhary,

Thanks for consulting us.

Ginette 35 is a reliable method of birth control & is as effective as any other birth control pill.
Its birth control effects persist in the pill free 7 days provided you have taken all other pills on time & regularly & start the new pack at the required time.

However it is generally recommended to avoid intercourse during periods as women are more prone to infection while having their periods.

It is a good practice to use condoms along with pills as this is more likely to protect you from STDs ( sexually transmitted diseases ) & is likely to provide you a back up protection in case your birth control fails e.g. if you forget to take any pill.

No birth control method is 100% effective. "Pills" are considered to be a reliable & very effective method.

Your chances of pregnancy are extremely rare (specifically 0.2-0.3 per 100 women years) & are the same as any other women using this method. You are not at any extra risk of pregnancy because of this recent unprotected sex.

I hope I have addressed your concerns properly. Please feel free to write back if you have any follow up query.

I will be there to help you out.

Follow-up: Taking ginette for PCOS. Had intercourse on pill free day. Chances of pregnancy? 7 hours later
Thank u. That was a relief.
another things i wanted to know was whether there are chances of pregnancy if i have unprotected sex 2-3 days prior my my periods due date? (this day would also fall on the pill free days)
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 1 hour later
Hi there,
You are always welcome here with all your questions.
Your answer is "no". Provided you are regular as well as punctual with your pills & start the new pack on time, you are protected against an unwanted pregnancy during the pill free days prior to your period. It doesn't make any difference which time of the cycle you have intercourse.
I hope you have got the desired response. If that is so, you may close the discussion or you may write back to me if you have any other things to discuss.
I will be there to answer you again.
Follow-up: Taking ginette for PCOS. Had intercourse on pill free day. Chances of pregnancy? 11 hours later
Thanks for helping me so far,
i just have 1 more question.
What is it that i have to do when i want to get pregnant?
i mean they ppl with pcos are not infertile right. They can have a baby too
and as long as i'm on these pills there is absolutely no chance of pregnancy
so what i'm i supposed to do when i want to have a baby?
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 2 hours later
Hi Choudhary,

You are welcome with pleasure.

Yes, you are absolutely right. Women with PCOs are not infertile but may be sub-fertile i.e. sometimes they need assistance to conceive.

Coming to your question; when you plan to have a baby, you should:
1. Stop your birth control pill after discussing with your prescribing physician.
2. Keep your weight under control (attain normal Body Mass Index).
3. Go to a good gynecologist for pre-pregnancy health check up, advice & counselling, to optimize your chances of a good outcome.
4. You may try to conceive naturally if you are ovulating. This can be checked by ultrasound & certain blood tests.
5. Or, you may need fertility treatment (ovulation induction), if you are not ovulating spontaneously or ovulating irregularly, after full evaluation of you & your partner to rule out any other contributing factor to your sub-fertility that may need any other treatment option to be planned for you. For all this fertility treatment, best place is a specified fertility clinic.
6. Your fertility specialist will guide you further depending upon your response to treatment.
7. When you conceive you should try to book yourself with a good consultant gynecologist as your pregnancy will need extra care.

I hope this much advise is enough for now. If you have got the desired information you may close this discussion & rate my answer. Any review will be highly appreciated.

You may contact me again if you have any other question for me.

Wish you best of luck. Take care.