Taking gemfibrozil and crestor. Speech is slurred. Side effect?

My husband is taking gemfibrozil 600mg and crestor 20 mg. I have noticed that his speech is mildly slurred the last few days. Does he need to see a doctor immediately or what should he do?
Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,

Given the risk factors of diabetes, age and elevated lipids, slurred speech should be taken seriously since it may be related to cerebrovascular disease (stroke); thus, it is of utmost importance for him to see his doctor, who can conduct a neurologic examination looking for abnormalities and likely order a CT scan of the brain to exclude this possibility.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN