Taking gabapentin for benign tumors. Have swelling in legs, feet and hands with knee pain. How to discontinue?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Need to discontinue gabapentin because of swelling in legs, feet, and hands. Severe pain in knee also. Have been taking it for benign tremors, not seizures. Do I gradually decrease dosage?
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can decrease dose gradually.

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.
Yes you can decrease dose of gabapentin gradually.
If tremors persist then you can start beta blockers consulting your doctor.

Your knee pain is not related to gabapentin.
At your age most common cause of knee pain is osteoarthritis. I will advise you if possible do X XXXXXXX of knee and you can consult me with reports or with your doctor.
Another possibility of knee pain can be due to meniscus injury ,which can be confirmed by clinical examination and if required MRI.
Till time take analgesic and apply knee support.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Taking gabapentin for benign tumors. Have swelling in legs, feet and hands with knee pain. How to discontinue? 7 hours later
I take the gabapentin three times a day at 7a.m., 3p.m., and 10p.m. It's 300mg each. How would be the best way to gradually decrease? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stop medicine of 3pm

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

You can stop medicine of 3 pm , rest other continue.