Taking folitrax 7.5 mg. Having joint pains. Is rheumatoid arthritis curable?

Is rheumatoid arthritis curable.i was taking folitrax 7.5 mg once a week for last one year.then I discontinued with the medicine & that's why my doctor increased the power to 10mg per once a week& I am taking it for last 2months.i am also taking hcqs one per ra factor was -ve but my anti ccp & crp was +ve. It's painful to walk now. I am having pain in almost all joints.please help me.
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 11 hours later

Rheumatoid arthritis is a disease that is autoimmune in nature. It affects mainly synovial joints like the joints of hands, feet, although any joint can be affected by it. Just like various chronic diseases like diabetes, hypertension and ischemic heart disease are not curable but controllable; rheumatoid arthritis is also controllable.

With proper medication you can lead an absolutely normal life without any pain or disability.

It is not advisable to stop medication on your own as it only leads to accrual of joint damage and leads to joint deformities. So keep a positive attitude and take regular medication; also exercise regularly.

As far as your medication is concerned I feel that the dosages of folitrax are definitely not adequate now; the minimum dosage of the medication recommended is 20 mg. Discuss with your treating doctor about it and if deemed appropriate they can increase the dose.

I hope I am making sense. Please feel free to ask me if you have any other queries.

Wish you good health