Taking fluox for depression. Got wrist fracture. Prescribed codeine for pain. Safe to continue codeine?

Good Morning,
I am in my early sixties and last week broke my wrist-my right one- and was prescribed some codeine for the pain.
I don't think I need it anymore and wonder if its contributing to my feelings of hopelessness and sadness with all the tears right now. Already I take Fluox for depression-for over 20 years- and wondering also if I can increase that med to help right now. I am not suicidal. Usually a busy person and stuck home here unable to drive.
We are in a new home and I dont know my neighbours well yet and my husband is at work and really doesn't want to know about this.
I have been feeling like this off and on for quite some time now but usually pull out of it and its worse in this last week.
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Yes, drug like Codeine can affect the psychological status and can cause aggravation of preexisting condition.

I would consider stopping Codeine to be a better remedy than increasing the dose of Fluox (Fluoxitine).

Even after stopping the Codeine, it may take some time for you to return back to the old psychological status but it does help for sure.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.