Taking ferro-tab and folic acid for long time. Can it cause high BP and headache?

For the last 2 years, I took Ferro-tab, 1 tablet a day and folic acid 500mg a day . My anaemia (iron and folate) has improved and I no longer need to take them. I stopped taking the pils 3 days ago and yesterday I had high blood pressure (180 over 110) and headache. I'm wondering if stopping Ferro-tab and folic acid, can this cause withdrawal symptoms?
I do have high cholesterol (6.4) but I am not suffering from any heart disease and my blood pressure is usually normal (120 over 80)
Posted Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 50 minutes later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your question with diligence.
Some people have a condition, called a silent hypertension. It may go undetected for long time then a situation like yours a routine check up by a Nurse or Physician's assistant brings it to the notice. Your headache, now wiser with hindsight one can say. No your stopping ingestion of folic acid and Iron can not cause it.
Now, consider yourself lucky. First step will be to confirm the existence of blood pressure elevation. Solitary reading is not enough. Get 2-3 readings out which some should be more than 140/80 mm of Hg. This can be done in 2 days, different times same person recording it with same apparatus. Then, I will urge you to consult your doctor. The cause for hypertension will be investigated, chances for finding it are very small: it shall be labelled as benign essential hypertension. The doctor will assess for two things: a). Assess the effect of hypertension on target organs(Kidney, Brain-including eye- and Heart) and b). After investigations and examination, a drug or combination of drugs will be chosen along with other risk factors for coronary heart disease will be investigated for (for example Diabetes, Cholesterol, Stress and Weight increase and so on). Take Care. Good Luck.

If there is further query which you might have I will be most happy to answer. Good Luck.
RegardsWith Best Wishes:
Dr Anil Grover
MBBS, MD (Medicine) DM(Cardiology)
Cardiologist and Internist
http:/ WWW.WWWW.WW