Taking famiciclovir for genital herpes. Suffering from abdominal pain and skin rashes. How to get relief?

Nov 2013

Hi Dr. XXXXXXX I am suffering from genital herpes for last 26 years. I had been taking famiciclovir for for suppressing and episodically with no side effects. But yesterday night after taking 500mg, I suffered severe pain in middle of abdomen just below the rib cage and rashes on face and neck. I took Ranitidine tablet and ate some yogurt to relieve the pain. It did relieve the pain and rashes also subsided by morning. I had taken vitamin B6, B12, calcium + d3, atorvastatin 5mg tablets along with famiciclovir. My queries are: - (1) Reason for this pain & rashes, (2) did famiciclovir interact with vitamin tablets? (3) how to relieve mild discomfort in the abdomen still present (4) Any precautions for future? Thanks, - XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 minutes later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.

The medicines that you mentioned are all safe medicines, and have very low potential for causing skin rash and abdominal pain.

Also, you have used famiciclovir for a long time, so, the chance of allergic reaction is very little.

Abdominal pain can occur with famiciclovir.

Did you change its brand recently? If yes, you may go back to the same brand that you always take.

There is no significant interaction between famiciclovir and vitamin tablets.

For relieving abdominal pain, avoid ranitidine, as it can react with famiciclovir. Instead, you can take rabeprozole.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM