Taking evening primrose seed oil. Have varicose and spider veins on legs. Suggest effective treatment

Sep 2012

vericose veinshello my name is XXXXXXX I am 29 years old, weigh about 160 lbs, 5'9 and mother to an active 11 year old boy. I am not on any medications other than Evening Primrose Seed Oil. I am suffering from vericose and spider veins badly on my left leg. It's to the point that an ulcer has surface on the inside of my leg by my ankle. it has opened twice and just now has finally closed with still a rather small scab still healing. And there are veins on my foot that are big. there is one that is like a bump and the bump is hard as if there is a tiny pebble. What does this mean?. I don't have insurance so I have been wearing Ted hose throughout the day especially during work which requires me to stand the whole shift. And take the vitamin mentioned above. Please help, what do I need to do. is there any other solution home remedies that I can do other than seeing a doctor because I'm unable to afford at the time. Do I need to change my diet? There are times my foot gets really swollen. How does this affect my overall health? Both my parents have Vericose and spider veins but not to my degree. What do I do. Is this fatal? If I don't seek medical help can my foot/leg be amputated?
Posted Sun, 20 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, your description indicates very advanced stage of the varicose vein. I am giving your answers one by one.

1.     The swelling you mentioned is just the dilated vein.

2.     Prime XXXXXXX seed oil is not the treatment of choice in this stage. It is helpful in very early stage. So, it will not give you any relief. Diet plan cannot improve your condition. Because in this disease, the valves of the vein of lower part of body get destroyed and for this reason, blood fails to circulate and becomes stagnant. So, no diet or home remedies can improve the condition.

3.     In this condition it is better to go for surgical treatment like traditional surgical removal of great saphenous vein. Other methods like sclerotherapy and Endovenous thermal ablation by laser or other procedure can also be considered depending upon the clinical profile.

4.     This will affect your general health and definitely the working ability because, as the disease progresses, the ulcers and swelling will become more hazardous.

5.     It is not fatal usually. But major ulcers leading to sepsis can lead to fatality indirectly. In extreme condition, amputation may be needed. But generally amputation is not indicated.

So, you have to consult with a general surgeon for clinical examination to determine the level of varicosity and for ordering some investigations like Color Doppler study and also for further management accordingly.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.